Monday, February 18, 2008

Where would you rather go?


We've been having vacation woes at our house. We said last year while I was pregnant that in 2008 we would take a vacation. That we can both agree on, but "where to go" is another story. All along I wanted something without the kids that included beaches and drinks, maybe some scuba and volleyball too! So, where did Chris want to go? His suggestions were the Grand Canyon, a Fishing Trip, and a Canoe Trip. I was so not happy with his ideas. The Grand Canyon - I have no interest to go there. Period. Fishing - We did a fishing trip the FIRST day of our honeymoon, and we had to wake up at 4:30 am to meet our guide. All I remember about that trip was I didn't like it. Canoeing - I've done this before and it was fun but not something I'd base a vacation on. Let me just tell you what sounds like fun for my Eagle Scout husband. He wants to take a Camping/Canoe trip, where you pack everything into your little boat with you and you Canoe for a day (I guess a day, I hate the idea enough that I never really asked specifics) then you camp. Then you load up your canoe again and you do it all over again and camp somewhere else down stream. I'm not sure how many of these "fun-filled days" he's invisioning, but I'm not going. His friend Jim Bob helped him come up with this grand idea and they both think it sounds like great fun. Eating pre-packaged dehydrated food and bathing in the stream - no vacation to me. I may not be super-girly, but for those of you who know me well y'all know that I can't even sleep at night with out taking a shower and shaving my legs. So, does this sound like something for me to enjoy or look forward to?
Now, I don't mind camping, but when we go camping we pick a place with a bathroom and hot showers nearby and we eat good food. Last time we did ribeyes, potatoes and dutchoven cobbler. It was good stuff and even though we slept in tents (which I really don't mind as long as it's cool), I hardly felt like we were roughing it.
So after this discussion we just didn't talk about vacations for a couple of days. Actually we didn't talk much at all. (this included Valentines Day) Finally I was so mad I had to talk to him. So, I let him have it, and then he has to tell me that he was in the process trying to surprise me with a vacation that I'd like. He really only threw his destination ideas out there to throw me off (even though those are good ideas in his mind) but once again I've gotten mad at him and not let him surprise me. It probably went something like this:
T: All I wanted was a break and I HATE all of your trips. I'm here every night with the kids and I just wanted us to be able to do something fun with you, and you want to take me on some stupid trip that really only you would like .... (you get the drift it was rant that included some tears)
C: Well if you must know I'm trying to plan a trip. I hoped it would come together by Valentines Day, but it didn't so then I figured I'd shoot for your birthday. I was trying to surprise you, but... you did it again!

He thinks I'm imposssible to surprise because I always get mad beforehand (usually by his lack of effort or something that he says) and he ends up telling me about whatever it is beforehand just to get himself out of the doghouse.
Well last night (together) we booked a trip to Cancun with some friends. It should be a really good time!
**Note for the picture - Had he been able to hog-tie me and take me on his Canoe trip the miserable guy in the yellow suit, who's missing a shoe, would have been me.

2 comments:

Jenny Popp said...

I ALWAYS get mad beforehand too! I'm glad that ya'll are taking time for yourselves. You both definitely deserve it!

DenKag said...

Well, at least you got something planned! Cancun will be fun. Lucky!!!