Thursday, March 6, 2008

Bonnie Wins







Bonnie’s won this battle (and she wasn’t even there to witness it), but will she win the war? Who is the favorite aunt? This question has come up time and time again. It’s nothing serious, just an ongoing joke with Cayla. Bonnie lived here in CS when Cayla was born, so for Cayla’s earliest years Bonnie was around most and she held the title as the favorite aunt. She and Michael took Cayla to the park, we’d go to the mall with her, eat dinner with her, she’d babysit, etc. Then Bonnie graduated and Cayla REALLY missed her. We’d pass the road we used to take to Bonnie’s and Cayla would put on her very sad face and say how she really wished Bonnie still lived by her.
When Suzanne moved to town in August we joked about how she would soon win title, and since this was around the time when Tate was born we figured she’d be his favorite. It didn’t take long at all, and Suzanne was referred to as the favorite aunt. She babysits, she comes over for dinner and plays with her, and she went with us to the carnival and rode all of the rides with her. Suzanne ROCKS!
Yesterday the tables turned again. Chris decided that he wanted to fry fish. Every week at church we hear about Friday Fish Fries, but he works Fridays so we’ve never been. He decided to have his own fish fry, so he bought the stuff for fish, french fries, and hushpuppies. Who cooks that kind of meal during the week? I guess he does. I invited Suzanne over because we had to have someone help us eat the feast. Sue didn’t hesitate and came over for dinner. Chris cooked and then we all ate. Let me re-phrase that, Chris cooked and then all but Cayla ate. She’d already complained about us making the house stink, and she definitely wasn’t going to eat fish or fries. The fries were too crinkly. She has very specific criteria for french fries and I believe only McDonalds and Whataburger pass the test. They must be straight, skinny, and with no black or brown marks on them. I made her a cheese quesadilla. She ate her quesadilla and the rest of us (including Tate) ate the fish, fries and pups. We all tried to convince her to try the fish, but she wouldn’t - so then we bugged her about it and eventually told her she had to eat one small bite. She pecked at it and then very begrudgingly ate the small piece (this was probably about dime size – very small). She made awful faces the entire time and then washed it down with juice. After that she was mad at all of us, and she told Suzanne that Bonnie was now her favorite aunt. Cayla retreated to the living room where she was just chanting “Bon-nie, Bon-nie, Bon-nie”. Suzanne gathered her leftovers and went home. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cayla's such a picky eater!!! We never had that with Ty - I just assume that I'm the favorite. :) --K

Anonymous said...

Good stuff, take that Suzanne! Just wait until our house is done and I take her to the pool, my reign will begin again. I'm just taking a break for now, but Fun Aunt Bonnie will make a come back :)

Jenny Popp said...

Ya'll are funny! I know it will be the same way with my sisters once Nick and I have kids.

I have a mental image of Cayla chanting "Bon-nie, Bon-nie, Bon-nie!" Funny!

Great pics! ;)

PS-I'm the pickiest fat kid ever! I don't eat the brown on the fries either!

Abby said...

I love those pictures, love them more everytime I see them!! If Chris would like to come cook at our house, he is welcome to come!

Tracy said...

Abby you're right, the pictures are AWESOME! I've made a photo book of them, but I haven't finalized it and place the order. "Our Wedding Plans" your AMAZING! I still just love to flip through them and I can't believe how great they turned out!