Monday, August 3, 2009

Refusing to Potty Train

WILL POTTY FOR ___________. The answer is NOTHING! He could care less about the prize of Skittles that his classmates so love.
Today was Tate's first day of big boy underwear. His school allows 2 weeks of pull-ups and then they throw the kids to the wolves by putting them in real undies. Considering he's yet to use the real potty I thought this policy sounded quite awful (especially for his poor teacher). This morning I packed up every pair of underwear he owns (6) and 6 sets of clothes (pretty much every pair of shorts he owns) and sent him off to school. By 10 a.m. he'd already used half his undies. By lunchtime he was out. My neighbor Amy brought him some more and then (*drum roll please*) he finally went in the potty. I don't want to jinx the little guy, but it feels like such a huge step. In fact I don't think I've ever been more excited for him in my entire life!!! What in the world would I do with myself if he one day found a cure for cancer? Could I be more proud than I am right now? :)
I guess tonight after my softball game I'll wash all of his shorts (I bought more underwear today) and send them all back to school tomorrow. I wonder if he stresses as much about this as I do? Surely not. The 1:10 pass/fail ration means nothing to me, I still see today as successful!!!

4 comments:

Abby said...

what about fruit snacks? The key for E was the little hostest brownie bites. I hope it gets better. It makes me nervous for the little guy!

DenKag said...

It does sound kinda awful, but hey - it worked! Good for Tate! I hope, at least, that he's not the only one that's running through his underwear stash by mid-day... :)

Bonnie said...

Good luck to everyone involved with this; it sounds like it is needed :)

Erin said...

Note*** Today when I was there Tate was on the potty...first with his pants still up....then after getting situated got back on the potty and was there for at least 5 minutes...so it isn't for a lack of trying. :)