Our weekend was busy. We got a decent offer on our house, so now we're just working on the contract. I randomly met Chris biological father for the first time on Friday night. I took Cayla to do the Home Depot building a pencil holder project Saturday morning. Kourtney and Kylee spent the night on Saturday night. Sunday was our last RCIA.
We got a very interesting call last Friday from Chris' biological dad, Mike and his wife Debbie. Chris had not seen Mike in 11 years (and before that I don't know how long it had been), so it came as quite a shock when he said that he was in College Station for the evening and wanted to see him (and meet Cayla, Tate, and me). We had no idea he was coming to town, and Chris was actually working Friday night. At the same time this was being arranged, one of Chris' co-workers, Tom, was calling and wanting us to show him and his wife our house. I quickly straightened up the house, brushed Cayla's hair, and changed Tate's clothes. As I was brushing Cayla's hair, I gave her a quick briefing about how she has another grandpa that she's never even met and he'd like to meet her today. She asked me if I'd met him and I of course told her, "no, I haven't met him either". The thought this was a bit strange, yet exciting. She then said, "Does dad know about him?" I told her that "yes dad knows about him". I then went
over how she should act very sweet, not be too shy, answer questions if he asks, etc. Our conversation was cut short by Tom and Amanda arriving to the house. Cayla walked into the living room and was standing smiling with her hands folded (looking very cute and sweet). Then I realized that she thought that Tom (who is ~ Chris' age) and his wife Amanda (who I believe is a little younger than me) were the other grandparents I was telling her about. I pulled her aside and told her that these people were here to look at our house, not her other grandparents. She was disappointed and embarrassed.
After Tom and Amanda left we headed to the Holiday Inn to meet Mike and Debbie. It was a bit awkward, but still nice. We visited for probably 30 minutes or so, and then Chris headed back to work and I went home to eat dinner with the kiddos. (it's after 9:00 by this time and I'm
starving) Cayla and Tate had eaten quite a few snacks in the car to hold them over, but they were both really hungry by this time too. It was nice to meet Mike and Debbie and finally have a face with the names. (because the images I had in my head were all wrong) I'm glad we were in town, because many weekends we would not have been. At the same time I guess if we had not been around we just wouldn't have seen him and the 11 year absence would have been stretched to 11 ½ or 12, or more. I didn't know what Chris would think about all of it (he did say that getting the phone call really threw him off his game), but he seemed fine and thought it was good to see him. He's pretty much just taken the approach, "If he does better for his family and kids now than he did back then, then that's fine with me." It sounds like Mike's done this, so I guess everything is okay. Maybe we'll see him again sometime, maybe we won't. We'll see.
Yesterday Tom and Amanda made an offer on our house. AWESOME! Now we need to start packing - but I'm sure Chris is going to start off with "moving bags".
3 comments:
Well, congrats on the house sale! That's always a relief. It is strange that Chris's dad called - I never really knew that about him or his family, you know? But I think Chris has a good attitude about it, and we all know that he turned out to be a wonderful father to your kids, so... :) --K
AWESOME, that is great news about the house!
Kind of weird about the dad thing, but I guess it's good that he is trying. You did get a great husband and father :) Bons
Ok so I was laughing out loud reading about Cayla thinking that Tom and Amanda were her new grandparents!! So exciting to hear about the house! Chris has a good attitude about the lost father. I think it might have thrown me off my game as well!
Post a Comment