*
*
*
Saturday we celebrated Mother's Day with with "girls day" painting pottery, shopping, and eating Mexican food. It was great fun! I had never actually painted pottery myself, and I found that I really stink at it. I picked out a utensil holder for the kitchen counter. We don't have one, so I figured it would be useful and I could display it in our new house. When I chose this I didn't know how awful of a painter I was. I hear that things look much better after they've been fired, but unless there's a little artist in that firing kiln that's going to touch up crooked lines and give it a new design, I might be out of luck. Chris don't worry, I won't junk up our new countertops with my shoddy work. I can just imagine our guests complimenting "Cayla's utensil holder".
I've taken Cayla to paint pottery before and she always does a good job. She chose a flower frame and she painted no less than 5 coats on it. (a different color each coat) Who knows what it will look like after it's fired. If we would have left after her first coat it would have been a 10 minute outing. I think I painted fairly quickly too, and my pottery piece looks the part. Mom took LOTS of time picking out the right piece, then carefully compared and chose the colors (asking the worker girl many questions along the way). I think I was half done before she even picked the brush of choice and started painting. Bonnie, Suzanne, and I felt like we all missed out on inheriting any artistic talent from her. As I was sitting there wrinkling my nose at my not so cute pottery, she was shading and outlining her flowers. Of course her piece is already gorgeous, and it hasn't even been fired yet.
In about a week I will be able to pick up our finished pottery. I'll be sure to post pictures. (A really big picture of mom's piece and teeny tiny ones of the rest of us)
***For now I've hijacked pictures from Bonnie's page. If I get some different ones, I'll add them later. It doesn't make too much of a difference, my pottery looks sad either way.
I've taken Cayla to paint pottery before and she always does a good job. She chose a flower frame and she painted no less than 5 coats on it. (a different color each coat) Who knows what it will look like after it's fired. If we would have left after her first coat it would have been a 10 minute outing. I think I painted fairly quickly too, and my pottery piece looks the part. Mom took LOTS of time picking out the right piece, then carefully compared and chose the colors (asking the worker girl many questions along the way). I think I was half done before she even picked the brush of choice and started painting. Bonnie, Suzanne, and I felt like we all missed out on inheriting any artistic talent from her. As I was sitting there wrinkling my nose at my not so cute pottery, she was shading and outlining her flowers. Of course her piece is already gorgeous, and it hasn't even been fired yet.
In about a week I will be able to pick up our finished pottery. I'll be sure to post pictures. (A really big picture of mom's piece and teeny tiny ones of the rest of us)
***For now I've hijacked pictures from Bonnie's page. If I get some different ones, I'll add them later. It doesn't make too much of a difference, my pottery looks sad either way.
**No mom's not wearing some goofy overall outfit; she borrowed an apron from the store.
I guess when you paint that well you deserve to look the part.
I guess when you paint that well you deserve to look the part.

3 comments:
It looks cute to me! I can't speak for everyone, but I know the artistic & musical genes were not passed down to the Popp boys. Hopefully it skips a generation and our kids will get them.
You're mom has always been artistic...that looks really fun. --K
You should have known when she put on the apron that her's would be aewsome! I think you all did a nice job as well! One day I hope to do some pottery myself!!
Post a Comment