Thursday, May 15, 2008

Does dad have "sticky fingers"? If so they are really strong.

“Are you sure dad didn’t steal his truck?” This is what Cayla asked me this morning. I bet very few 5 year olds have ever asked this question – even fewer police officer’s daughters. Normally one would be very surprised to be asked this, but I was not because I remembered back a few months ago when he got it, she wasn’t so sure that it was legit. Why? Because we didn’t consult with her before we purchased it. She thought there was no way that we’d (actually he – she says that she doesn’t think any of this is my fault) go buy a truck while she was at school without telling her about it. (one would think that she knows us better than that) Then that same afternoon he came to pick her up in the truck and she was excited (yet secretly embarrassed because she thought maybe it was stolen).
She then told me “not to worry, she hadn’t told any of her friends that she thought the truck was stolen because then they’d call the police.” WHAT? 1. I know she’s an awful secret keeper. Obviously there is no secret to keep, but if something was weighing on her mind I seriously doubt she was tight lipped about it. 2. Chris is the police! I told her that I was there when dad bought the truck, and I know for a fact that we are paying for it. Then I went on to say that dad doesn’t steal, and he’s an honest person, yadi, yadi. What does she come back with? “Alright”… pause... “Do you think I could see some proof?”
Me: “What kind of proof?”
Cayla: “Like the money you bought it with?”
Me: “I don’t have any money, we had to use it to buy the truck.”
Cayla: “What about a receipt?”

I pull my owners manual out of my glove compartment and hand it to her. It has papers in it from when I bought my car. She looks at it briefly and says, “I don’t know about this…”

I then pull a random receipt out of my purse (I think it was for kolaches), and I hand it to her.
She looks very relieved and she says, “Thank You! It’s all clearer now.”


This was a lot of trouble to go through to just convince Cayla that the truck is really ours, and we are indeed paying for it every month. The last thing I want though is her telling her little friends or teachers that we’re thieves. If I would have known that any receipt would do, I could have shown her one months ago.

4 comments:

Abby said...

Funny, I was laughing out loud!

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious, I guess this has been bugging her for a long time. I can't believe she made you show her a receipt! Bons

Jenny Popp said...

Very funny! You just never know what is going on in their little minds! More than likely she did tell her friends and teachers. You know, they really do tell us EVERYTHING!

Anonymous said...

Oh WOW - she is a mess! How funny...Chris is crooked... :) --K