He always “spied” the toughest things. When I was out of guesses he’d chuckle and say “well maybe it isn’t so grey after all” and his thing would really be green. I don't think it was an intentional joke, but he always had a great, dry, sense of humor. His signature greeting was “what’s cookin’?” It was one of the first things I remember him saying and he never strayed from it all of my 27 years.
As a youngster we’d collect many prized rocks. At the end of the day he’d let us gather our collection and ride in the back of the truck to the creek or canal and throw them in.
I once took up tennis and brought my new racket and canister of balls to their house for a weekend stay. I spent who knows how many hours hitting my tennis balls against the barn. He worked in the barn all day and offered me many words of encouragement. Never once did he complain about the ridiculous amount of noise I was making.
Every weekend visit included card games – and lots of them. Early on it was Go Fish, then Pig, Spades and finally Canasta. I was probably one of a very few 3rd graders playing Canasta, but I love it! I’m such a canasta nerd, that a couple of years ago I even found/played it online. :)
As he got older he began to crookedly scoot/walk. It was adorable and it never slowed him down. He and grandma still made it to every event. They evacuated to my house during Hurricane Rita. He might have flashed his largest grin ever when he finally arrived. It marked the end of the 6 hour trip from El Campo to College Station. If the car ride wasn’t enough make one stir crazy the snarling cats he had to sit next to definitely were. Of course he never complained. That weekend he put away more breakfast pastries than I’ve ever seen one person eat.
We all celebrated this past Easter in College Station. The picture is from the Easter Vigil when Chris became Catholic. Grandma and Grandpa would not have had to come to this since it was long and late in the evening, but like I said before they never missed an event and I was so happy to have them there.
Even though I feel like he was taken from us too soon, and feel unbelievably blessed to have him as my grandpa for the past 27 years. He lived every day to be the best example in both family and faith; what more could one ask for in a role model?
** Notes from Cayla:
Grandpa, I hope you meet Grandma Rosie and my fish Dorothy and Bungo and y'all all are friends. If you don't want to stay in the same clothes forever, ask God and he can give you lots of new ones.
(I don't know why she was worried about his clothes - I guess she just wanted to make sure he'd be well dressed in heaven)
5 comments:
I LOVE it! My favorite is the picture of him holding the balloons :) Don't worry, I'm a canasta nerd too...but of course you already know that.
That's so cute that Cayla wants him to have lots of clothes in Heaven. *Bons
Love it.
He always did spy the toughest things....he also said Ooooh-weeee a lot.
I loved his little scoot/shuffle walk too. He was such a cute old man! Love the balloon picture...he was beaming!
Okay, that made me cry. Well written. Oh, and my mom and I used to play canasta too! :) --K
Post a Comment