Thursday, April 3, 2008

Things That Should Be Nice

Yesterday’s blog comments sparked a new prompt. There are some things that should not be from Target. Here are a few of them:
Jewelry – I guess costume jewelry would be okay, but I don’t wear much of that. I haven’t dove into the cute, trendy, mindset so I pretty much stick to the same old stuff, the real stuff. Actually my old watch broke so I currently have a cheap-o, but Chris knows that this is on my “list”, so when a gift giving occasion comes, and I get a new one, I’ll ditch the cheap-o. My wedding ring is gorgeous – and it’s definitely not from Target. One of the prongs is slightly bent, but the ring itself has been checked and the diamond is very secure. For this of course I heard the “you’re so hard on things, why can’t you keep things nice, etc”, but I have worn this ring every day of the past 5 ½ years. I think that just falls into the general wear and tear category. No one (other than Chris) would have ever noticed the very SLIGHTLY bent prong. He inspects it regularly and tells me how I need to have it cleaned. He says that I “hide roast beef in it” or something like that. Anyone who really knows me knows that there would not be roast beef in there, because I don’t even really like roast beef. I guess, I could be hiding it in there to avoid having to eat it, but come on we’re talking about a ring here. That’s just stupid. But yes, he jokes about how my nice ring is dirty and contains roast beef.
Cars – I know that this is impossible because Target doesn’t sell these, but I like to have a nice big car. Everyone knows how much I hated having a little cheap car, and even if I’m “hard on it”, I think it is necessary. I am not able to keep it in the spotless condition that Chris keeps his truck, but I blame that on the kids. (you guys should see the spotless condition of Chris’ truck it’s unbelievable) Every time I come home I already have to make at least 2 trips to and from the car just to get the kids and the mail in the house. By the time I get inside Tate’s almost always screaming for a bottle and Cayla is in desperate need of a snack. I don’t go back out to make sure all items and trash have been brought inside and thus is why my nice car is not tidy.
Purses – I don’t care much about super expensive purses, but I like something a little better than Target’s. A Nine West (or something similar) is fine with me. My purse is usually full of receipts that I’m suppose to “turn in” to the Perk!n’s Family Account Manager. I’m good at keeping them, I’m not so good at turning them in.
Tennis Shoes – I splurge on these because I wear them a ton. I love tennis shoes! Once Chris had a pair from Wal-Mart and they literally lasted one day. I wear my tennis shoes much longer than that. A 1-2 inch rectangular piece feel off of the rubber sole after he wore them once. Why did Chris (the man who loves nice things) have Wal-Mart tennis shoes you might ask? Because we went to El Campo and his wife didn’t pack him anything to wear with his windpants. We were in town for Luke and Jenna’s wedding. We’d driven straight to the rehearsal dinner from College Station the night before and Chris was in his dress clothes. The next day he and dad were going to go to a movie before the wedding. I’d brought him some casual clothes but no shoes. He wore his T-shirt, windpants, and DRESS SHOES to Wal-Mart and bought some tennis shoes before the movie. Monday we were able to return the tennis shoes because they were already torn up.

For my kids I will buy almost anything at Target. I can buy Cayla and Tate shorts for like $3.99 a pair, and when Cayla gets paint on them at school (the first day she wears them – yes this happened) I don’t even have to be mad.

3 comments:

Abby said...

I agree with every item on your list. There are somethings you just can't buy at Target! I do sooo love those 3.99 shorts!

Anonymous said...

I agree with the list too. I drove the Sunfire for 8 years. Good times in high school, damaged times in college, and smoke filled, overheated, stranded on the side of the rode, power steering going out while driving times during grad school. I was happy to have it go! *Bons

Anonymous said...

I TOTALLY agree with ALL of that. Except I don't drive a nice car - I prefer the kind that I don't have to make payments on. :) YAY! --K