This weekend we got most of the house put together. Most of this was just arranging closets, putting away Christmas decorations, cleaning the garage, etc. Only one of the tasks actually required actual structural work, and that was something that was not initially on our list of things to do. Friday evening, however, fix the garage ceiling made its way to the list, just as load Christmas decorations in the attic got scratched off. Yes, Chris fell through the ceiling.
I was being a sweet wife and handing him Christmas decorations, and he was in the attic setting them on the plywood that he’d so careful nailed down the day before (or screwed down – whichever you do to plywood). There was of course this one piece that was really small (and worthless in my opinion). It wasn’t long enough to nail down, so he just balanced it on the floor thinking that he could set something small on top of it. 24 hours later he'd forgotten about the small crappy piece so he then tripped over or stepped on the edge of it, and down he went. Luckily he never hit the ground and caught himself with his elbows and ribs. I wish I could say that I have a pictures to share of him hanging there, but the way he was positioned (one leg was facing a different directing than the other, I thought his leg was broken or something. I glanced around the garage for something to put under hit feet. I couldn’t find anything… man you never have a good pair of stilts when you need them. I then climbed back up in the attic in effort to help him. I didn’t think I was going to be much help, but I figured I could try. I thought about how if some bone was broken I would never be able to get him out and down. Luckily he was able to pull himself back up, and he was fine. He stood up, shook it off, and other than a bruise on his side, some painful coughs and sneezes, and a pair of ripped underwear, he was perfectly fine.
Of course after I knew he was okay, I didn’t pass up the opportunity to take a few pictures.

I was being a sweet wife and handing him Christmas decorations, and he was in the attic setting them on the plywood that he’d so careful nailed down the day before (or screwed down – whichever you do to plywood). There was of course this one piece that was really small (and worthless in my opinion). It wasn’t long enough to nail down, so he just balanced it on the floor thinking that he could set something small on top of it. 24 hours later he'd forgotten about the small crappy piece so he then tripped over or stepped on the edge of it, and down he went. Luckily he never hit the ground and caught himself with his elbows and ribs. I wish I could say that I have a pictures to share of him hanging there, but the way he was positioned (one leg was facing a different directing than the other, I thought his leg was broken or something. I glanced around the garage for something to put under hit feet. I couldn’t find anything… man you never have a good pair of stilts when you need them. I then climbed back up in the attic in effort to help him. I didn’t think I was going to be much help, but I figured I could try. I thought about how if some bone was broken I would never be able to get him out and down. Luckily he was able to pull himself back up, and he was fine. He stood up, shook it off, and other than a bruise on his side, some painful coughs and sneezes, and a pair of ripped underwear, he was perfectly fine.
Of course after I knew he was okay, I didn’t pass up the opportunity to take a few pictures.
The drywall guy came out Saturday morning, and the evidence of the fall is now gone. As much as we wanted to just put a little blue piece of tape on the hole and add it to the list of things the builder needs to touch up, we didn't think that would fly. Chris took some advil at bedtime and slept in on Saturday and he's fine now. He's still trying to convince me that he's not a clumsy person. After the vacation blunders and now this, I'm not buying it. I'm a little worried about him 4th of July! What's next?
8 comments:
Oh my gosh, that is crazy. I can't believe he fell through! Poor guy, ripped underwear and all. *Bons
Oh no!! I am glad that you were able to get it fixed!! Since he turned out ok and all...I am so sad you didn't get a picture!! We are just going to start praying now that he doesn't go over the upper deck in NB! Any body have a pool hook in case he/anyone else falls in the river?
Oh, wow. I'm so disappointed there's not a picture of his legs dangling from the ceiling. I'm glad he's okay, though! God, that's funny... --K
Pool hook... in theory it sounds like a good idea, but I remember how uncoordinated they were last year when they were trying to fish good stuff out of the flooding river. I'm about 95% sure that no one would be saved.
We'd probably be better off just putting him in a harness and tying him to the dock - that way if he goes overboard we can reel him in.
Please photoshop some legs to the ceiling in your garage. I seriously almost just fell out of the chair reading that. Hey add that to the list in New Braunfels...whenever Chris falls through something (pier, ceiling, pool, etc) take a shot.
Brian
Thank goodness he's ok, but I must admit, I haven't laughed like that in a while! Poor Chris can never catch a break!
Hey I like those new picture over there on the side...How did you do that! Look at you getting all Blogger Creative and all!
Post a Comment