Friday, July 17, 2009

Saying Goodbye




Goodbye to Ms. Margie and Hello Longmire Learning Center! Margie knocks the socks off any other babysitter we have had. (referring to those who kept Cayla as a baby) I've never met a woman who is more patient, organized, and helpful. Chris is amazed how she keeps her house so CLEAN! Tate destroys our house... I can't imagine have many little ones just like him running around. She cleaned out Tate's bin last week and sent home his extra clothes. She just didn't think she would be up for it this week. She refers to him as the blonde child that she never had (she has 4 children and unlike her they are all dark complected with dark hair). This morning dropping it off was bittersweet. I'm excited for him to go to LLC, but it's so sad to see his time with Margie come to an end. Margie has kept Tate since he was 6 weeks old. I truly believe that she loves him as one of her own - possibly more, she has teenagers! She's watched him every day while Chris and I were at work, and kept him on some evenings, nights, and weekends too. In the 2 years she's been his babysitter she's NEVER once called in sick - just maybe once had to close a little early for an appt. She's raised her tuition only once, and when doing so gave all parents three months notice (it was her first rate hike in over 7 years). She feeds Tate so well! In the morning her husband Steve is making everyone a hot breakfast and he cooks lunch too! She has the most amazing "hearty" snacks. When I picked him up the other day they were having sausage and bread for snack, another day they had macaroni and cheese, occasionally maybe a sandwich. The last thing she wants to do is send the child home crying for dinner - so afternoon snack is practically a third meal. Tate's always hungry, but I can only imagine what a bear he'd be without a snack time. He might have a hard time adjusting to LLC's juice and cookie snack - he'll be looking for the roast and potatoes! I'm sure he'll come home starving!
Margie has been great for me as well. She's the one who notices when I'm not feeling well (recent example my eye debacle last week) and insists that I just let Tate stay the evening and spend the night. I don't know how she does it. She's always trying to make things as easy as possible for all of us parents, but one would think that she'd just want a break! If she doesn't have plans, you know she'll be willing to keep your child. Margie also has two daughters who also babysit. If she's unavailable, there's a good possibility that Ashley or Holli will be able to help out. Had we not put Tate on the LLC list when he was still an infant knowing that he waiting list was so long, it would be really hard to move him. He loves Ms. Margie so much - and so do I!!!

Yesterday Tate and I went to a little meet the teacher conference at Longmire. He got to sit in with his teacher (Ms. Melody) and his six classmates while I filled out paperwork. He did great and seemed to really have fun. When we got there the class was coloring. Tate took a seat and snatched a piece of paper. Ms. Melody gave him a crayon and he said "no" handed it back and asked for a "PEM" (pen). When she told him there were no pens he then took back his crayon. Say a prayer for me as I begin my Margie withdrawals (I don't think I can call LLC and ask them to keep Tate an extra hour while I run to the grocery store). Say a prayer for Ms. Melody as she goes head to head with Tate. This should be interesting!

No comments: