Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Not a Baby Anymore...


Goodbye to the bottle. Lucky for us Tate quit showing interest in the pacifier quite a few months ago, so that’s one less habit to break. Once he got to where he could pull it out of his mouth and drop it, we just quit giving it to him. I thought it would be awful, but he’s handled the switchover well. This is the little guy who required to bottles (at one time) every morning. He’d hold the one he was drinking with one hand and tuck the other under his arm. The second the first bottle was empty he’d quickly make the switch. I thought switching to a cup would be a nightmare, especially since he hated practicing with it, but I decided to forego weaning and just see if he could stop cold turkey. He did great and we’re now on day 2 1/2 of no bottles. For many of you this may not seem like no big deal, but I remember that this was no easy task with Cayla. With Cayla we cut back on bottles, then she’d get sick and we’d let her drink them again (maybe just one), and then we’d cut back again, she’d bump her head or fall off the stairs and we’d give her the pacifier and it seemed to take forever to really let go. This time I took the tough love approach (or maybe it’s just the “second child approach) and for him it worked well. This kid loves to drink and never skips meals, so it worked out well.


On another note Tate and Cayla both had well-visits today. Scheduling Cayla a well-visit was not my idea. Chris is all about well-visits (yet he rarely goes to the doctor when he’s sick). He’s the guy who gets his eyes checked regularly even though he has 20/13 vision, and guy the doctor tells to wait a few years before he comes back. He’s the guy who never misses a 6 month dental cleaning and closely monitors to make sure I show up for mine as well. When Chris set up Tate’s 1 year appt. they recommended that Cayla be scheduled as well since she’d not had a well-visit in a long time. (of course that’s what they’d recommend – Geez) I wanted to cancel this appt., but Chris called and found out that she was lacking a shot (one not necessary for kindergarten) so we kept the appt. Tate’s appt went well. He’s still a big kid (90th percentile), he’s doing everything he should be doing, and he got three shots and only cried a little bit. Cayla’s appt. totally stressed her out. She didn’t sleep well last night because she was so worried. She was supposed to get a shot (that’s why we kept the appt), but apparently someone read her chart wrong and she already had the shot in question. They did a hearing screen and the lady (who wasn’t nice at all) wanted to refer us to an audiologist because even though she raised her hands at the right time, she wouldn’t raise the correct hand. (right hand for right ear, left had for left ear) I was frustrated by this because bviously she could hear the variety of sounds if she was raising a hand.. Cayla didn’t like the lady talking to us about how she couldn’t hear or wasn’t doing the test right. Then we went on the vision screen. She did okay there and was glad that she could at least see. After that was the exam. We found out that she’s a shorty (in the 25th percentile), but we already knew that. She’s one of the shortest in her class. At the end of the appt. a different technician tested her hearing and said she was fine. Now we don’t have to go to the audiologist, and Cayla learned that she doesn’t need any more vaccines until she’s 11. She’s very happy about this and does not want to go back to the doctor until that time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's too cute that she was so worried. I remember I was very stressed out when I failed a hearing test at SPS. It turned out I just had a cold or somthing so I couldn't hear the noises. Whatever, I'm still scarred from that one. I'm glad to hear they are both doing "well". *Bons

Abby said...

Emery gets totaly stressed about the doctor as well. Because of her asthma she has to get the flu shot every year and she is already totally stressed out about it!!

I LOVE The new back ground and all the pictures. I need you to teach me how to do this stuff. I am waiting for a lesson!