Monday, May 18, 2009

Meet Judy - (No Judy is not another "destined to fail" pet)





Judy is our new scarecrow! Our garden is really doing well, but we're tired of the birds eating the heck out of our crops. They get about half of our tomatoes and most all of our strawberries. They haven't gone after the rest of the fruits and veggies, but we know it is just a matter of time. I busted a bird on the strawberries the other day and tried to peg it with a rock. I missed, but he (the bird) flew off anyway. It might have scared him a little bit, but not enough for him to warn his homies to stay the heck away from our garden. Yesterday I created "Judy" and we're hoping that this works. Building some kind of cage or covering for the garden sounds like a real pain and expensive. Judy came to us free of charge using only some of Cayla's old clothes, one of Tate's rubber balls, Cayla's panty hose from dance class, a hat, and some grocery sacks.





We have some mystery plants on the end. We sometimes call them cantaloupe, but we really don't even remember if we planted cantaloupe. We had each item tagged, but the tags washed away during the rain storm shortly after everything was planted. We also had some squash seeds, and those are either planted somewhere in there, or they washed away with the rain. Come "harvest season" our garden will probably resemble one disorganized salad bar.

















**************************************
So grown up! Now, we're on to potty training. Thus far it's not going so well. He'll sit on the potty for a short time, but he just wants to touch himself. I gave him a book to try to divert his attention, but he then just used the corner of the book to poke himself. Now all of you guys know, if you come to our house, you might not want to touch Tate's books. I can tell this is going to be rough!

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

Judy looks a little scary...and good luck with potty training :) Sounds like it will be lots of fun. And, no I will not be touching Tate's books, probably ever again.

Anonymous said...

Omigod, that is so funny about his books. HA! I love it. And I agree with Bonnie - Judy is creepy...it would keep me away! --K

Abby said...

I think we are building a scare crow this weekend. I will give you some pointers from our little gardening capital of the world.

Apparently netting is the best choice, next time you are here drive down Hutchins and you can see it in action.

If you don't want to do that. Try red christmas balls on the tomato (strawberry) plants. Apparently the birds get whipped poking at the ornaments and they stop. Last year we bought lots of those little hand held pin wheels. Put them right next to the plants and that seamed to work. (I think Netting is the only real solution!)

Bless your heart I hate potty training.

Emily said...

I think Judy is just beautiful! I hope she does the trick...also it would be fun if you moved her around and posed her differently just for the heck of it! May give the birds a good laugh anyhow. Good luck, let us know if it does help.