Friday, March 6, 2009

Let's Go Fly A Kite


I don't know if I've ever flown a real kite. I know when I was young I tried to fly a few homemade ones, but I don't remember that ever being successful. Most of all I remember lots of running up and down yard in hopes that the wind would catch it and toss it high into the sky. (however, I don't remember my string being more than about 8 ft long and I think the kite was held together with about 10 lbs of glue and tape) It's not so surprising that it didn't work out for me.

A few days ago, Chris came home with two real kites (one for Cayla and one for Tate). Cayla's quickly got lost in a tree, so they tried their luck with Tate's. Tate didn't mind that his sister was using his kite. Tate and I were out in the field watching Cayla and Chris. We went home to get him a new diaper and a few snacks. I gave him a string cheese, but he really wanted a piece of chocolate. I decided to let him have both. He ran down the street all the way to the field. While he ran he'd eat a bite of cheese, then a bite of chocolate. cheese, chocolate, cheese, and so on. He ran out of chocolate sooner than cheese, so then he'd bite his cheese, then lick a chocolatey finger, cheese, finger... We got the the field, he took one step onto the grass, looked at his empty hands. His cheese and his chocolate were both gone. With that he took off running back home. He could have cared less about kite flying - he needed more snacks.

This weekend Chris got Cayla a better kite. It had a longer tail and princesses on it. She was quite impressed and couldn't wait to fly it, but Chris had worked late Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. She wanted me to fly it with her, but I have zero real kite flying experience and I didn't think I could handle a kite and a kiddo with snacks on the brain. Yesterday Chris picked Cayla up from school and they got to fly the kite. Tate and I went out to watch a while, and while he still didn't care much about the kite, he loved playing outside. After 15 minutes or so though, he bolted for the street home. Snack time!





















  • When I took away this wood he was trying to eat, he decided he'd had enough and he took off for the pantry.





Other un-posted pictures:


  • Banana for breakfast.










  • We are still battling some tantrums - usually when he doesn't get the snack he wants (or when he doesn't even know what snack he wants), when won't allow him to stand on the playroom table, when we take away the markers he's eating, or when we won't let him go outside in the dark 40 degree weather - just to name a few. We laugh, because when Cayla started pre-school "time out" was an entirely new concept for her. "Having to sit" at school was quite devastating for her. When Tate starts pre-school this will just be old business. I think he's "sat" in every room and corner of our house. (as well as next to most trees or posts at the ballpark)




Don't feel to sorry for him. He recovers well.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry Tracy I feel sorry for him! Awesome kite flying skills Chris!
AV

DenKag said...

Great, now I have that kite song stuck in my head. :) I think Tate looks so cute in the corner! Looks like fun - glad you're posting again!

Abby said...

The corner will also be our good friend as well!! Love the kite flying, love the string cheese and chocolate.

Emily said...

You know I really had not flown to many kites either...then Chris bought one for E when we were down last time. It really is a lot of fun if you have a BIG area. It looks like you all may be pros too!I love the Tate pics...he is just so stinking cute. Enjoy your next flight.