Since Cayla's out of school for Spring Break, we enrolled her in gymnastics day camp. I think very little gymnastics actually goes on there, but they do lots of other fun things.
It brings to mind the time Cayla wanted to go to dance camp. Cayla despised dance class, but wanted to go to camp because the instructor was totally trying to sell it to the girls by telling them that they'd "do lots of fun things and have snacks". I told myself that she would really hate dance camp as much if not more than dance class and snack time was not a good reason to enroll.
Gymnastics however is something she does really enjoy. Some time ago however, I kind of quit enrolling her. It was just something that slipped through the cracks, and she didn't even seem to really notice. This semester, she started asking again, "When do I go to gymnastics?". Usually I'd just avoid the real answer and say, "oh, you don't go today". Often enough one of her friends will have a birthday party at the gymnastics place and that will be enough to make her think that she still goes to gymnastics somewhat regularly.
When I saw the day camp flier I knew that she would LOVE to go so I enrolled her.
Camp Description:
Activities include gymnastics free play, arts & crafts, structured games, outside free play, moonwalks, movies and much more!
Cayla thought this sounded amazing! Yesterday morning however she went from super excited to very, very nervous. On the way to the gym she thought she was going to be car sick. (surprise, surprise) What if I don't know anyone, what if no one plays with me, what if I don't get a turn at arts and crafts, what if they only let me do outside free play? I assured her that they wouldn't leave her outside all day, and that it would be very fun! Tate and I walked her in, and the butterflies in her stomach disappeared.
Last night we heard all about how she got to do the human slingshot (a harness with a bungee cord) THREE TIMES and she made friends with a 3RD GRADER! This 3rd grader told Cayla she was her bestest friend, and apparently that's very exciting news for someone in kindergarten! She didn't mention much about gymnastics, but she obviously had a great time.
Before bedtime, while setting out her clothes, we talked about St. Patrick's Day and how she needed to wear green. I briefly looked through her drawer, and saw one green shirt - it was from T-Ball.
Me: Cayla tomorrow is St. Patrick's Day. You can just wear this shirt since it's green.
Cayla: MY TEE BALL SHIRT?
Me: Yeah, it's just a green T-Shirt.
Cayla: I am NOT wearing my T-Ball shirt.
Me: Why Not?
Cayla: I don't want people to know I played T-Ball!
Me: Why?
Cayla: Because that's so embarassing.
Me: No it's not, what's embarassing about it?
Cayla: They'll make fun of me.
Me: No they won't.
Cayla: Yes they will, they'll tell me "BATTER UP". I'm NOT wearing that shirt.
And she didn't. She found a different greeen shirt and happily wore that.
2 comments:
She always has the best comments about her clothes, like during Drug week or whatever. Too funny!
I love how these kiddos think. I can't believe that she came up with the "batters up." That is funny, I love the post! Good luck the rest of the week.
Post a Comment