Many locals choose to hibernate on Aggie Game Days (and 9 times out of 10 the kids and I are the same). If we aren’t at home, we skip town all together. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE AGGIE GAMES, but for those not attending (us) it can be a real pain. The traffic is terrible, restaurants are packed, and the shelves at the grocery store are completely picked over. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, just try to buy velveeta cheese on a game day. It’s as if all of those “Tailgaters” go into Hurricane Preparedness Mode, and rake all of the good stuff into their baskets.
Back to the point… This week we didn’t hibernate and we didn’t leave town. While Chris was in school, the kids and I (and of course Ross and Suz) headed to Kyle Field.
We woke Tate up from his nap just in time to leave for the game. He doesn’t always wake up happy, and this day was no different. I had serious doubts on how his first Aggie Football Game would go, and I braced myself for complete disaster.
Tate’s first game day photo – I’m smiling on the outside but on the inside I’m thinking this was probably a big mistake.
Luckily, we got to campus just in time to see March In. He loved the drums, and his mood improved tremendously!
Then off to the Fan Zone
Tate and I sat at the north end of the field with Marilyn, Leonard and Kylee, while Cayla sat with Suz, Ross, Brian, Emery, and Brooks at the south end (thanks so much for the tickets, guys). I deliberately brought only a small purse along, because I felt I may have to carry Tate up to the 3rd deck. He surprised the heck out of me as he walked the ramps all by himself and then walked the remaining 62 steps up to our seats. (How in the world would I know there were 62 steps? He went to the bathroom 4 times… I had plenty of opportunities to count them)
While many covered their ears for the flyover – he didn’t yet he loved it! He called for an encore, but they must not have heard him.
He was surprised that the football players looked “weally wittle”, but he loved when they would “fall down” or “throw the ball weally far”. Those two things were so funny to him! He also loved his hotdog, the canon, kettle corn, the band, M&Ms, the “big TV" (jumbotron), his snowcone, looking through Kylee’s binoculars, and making friends with “Andrew”. Who is Andrew? Beats me, I know nothing about this guy. He happened to the ticket holder of the seats next to us, and he quickly bonded with Tate. What a coincidence that this 20-something year old guy happened to have a plastic army man in his pocket (that he’d found on the ground at tailgate)? He gave it to Tate and they became instant friends.
Gig ‘Em
Really friendly guy, and he let Tate wear his glasses and his hat, however I thought he was nuts when he handed Tate his Aggie Ring!
We quickly gave the ring back, and headed to the south end of the field to hang out by the jumbotron and see Cayla and the rest of the crew.
Cayla and Emery both enjoyed the game, however I think they cared very little about football, and spent most of their time reading books and writing notes. Such girls!
Cheering for the Aggies!
At the end of the game Cayla stood with other kids along the barricade and the Aggie Football team slapped their hands as they ran into the locker room. She also managed to score a very wet sweat band from one of the players. She does call this her favorite part of the game! She definitely wanted it washed, but she was happy to have her little souvenir.
However, maybe Ross was entrusted to keep it safe, and maybe he dropped it on the trip back to the bus, and maybe Suz was at Academy bright and early Sunday morning to buy a replacement band. Oops. Cayla’s still very happy with her sweatband, and that’s what really matters.
We got home late on Saturday night, and while the kids were exhausted they were still a little too wound up from the excitement. After baths, Cayla went down easy. Tate definitely didn’t think he was “ready” for bed.
Tate: Is the marching band in bed?
Me: Yes, the band is in bed.
Tate: Are the football “pwayers” in bed?
Me: Yes they are in bed too.
Tate: Are the “airpwane drivers” in bed?
Me: Yep, they’re in bed
Tate: Is the snowcone lady in bed?
Me: Yes, she’s already asleep.
Tate: Everyone’s in bed?
Me: Yes, it’s bedtime!
Tate: Okay Mommy… I wuv you.
--- And Tate was out!
1 comment:
He just is the sweetest thing...Tyre and I love your conversation at the end. What a cutie! I'm glad you had fun--I wish we could come to some games with y'all! (Or just watch them at home and have a few beers. Either works!)
Post a Comment